Department Of Dietetics
Department of dietetics was established in the 1985. Mrs. Charu Katare and Mrs. Padmaja Joshi were among the pioneer Dietitians. In these 26yrs the department has progressed in terms of academics, Students training programs, Community Nutritional Programs and recognition of our institute at all India level. At present Mrs. Purnima Bhale is incharge of the department and working here since last 20yrs. Mrs. Vibhooti Trivedi and Ms. Pratibha Sharma are also working here as Dietitian.
- Nutritional Care of Patients
- Food Service Management
- Internship training
- Academic Activities
- National Level presentation, Research work, Awards publication and Membership.
Nutritional Care of Patient :-
1) Admitted Patient –The Department of Dietetics provides normal, modified and therapeutic diets to about 300 general and private ward patients. A careful dietary history of each admitted patient is taken, their blood parameters are reviewed to asses his/ her nutritional status and diet is provided as per the recommendation of the treating doctor. Extensive bed to bed ward rounds are undertaken for this purpose and later to check the compliance with the prescribed diet and /or to carry out any modification as per the requirements of the patients. Diet charts bearing detail dietary instruction to be followed at home given at the time of the discharge. Followup of these patients is done at the O.P.D diet clinic.
2) O.P.D patients-The O.P.D patients referred from various O.P.D viz. Medicine, Surgery, Obste. & Gynaec, Pediatrics, Cardiac, Orthopedics, Oncology, Gastro & others are given diet counseling along with the printed diet charts.
3) Diabetic Education Centre:-Diabetic Education Center Clinic is held on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. The Dietician provides diet counseling to diabetic patients which results in both glycemic control and early recovery. Each patient is given individual diet chart as per his/her disease condition, blood parameters, previous diet history, cultural and socioeconomic status.
4) Well Baby Clinic:-Well baby clinic is run by department where diet counseling as well as individual diet chart is given to lactating mothers promoting exclusive breast feeding upto 6 months of age and balanced diet for all age group children.
5) Thalasemia Clinic:-Diet counseling is done here for these patients by the department as per there weight, height and Hb level.
6) General Health Checkup:-Special diet counseling to GHC patients.
7) Food Service Management:-Diet is a complimentary service to all admitted patients. Software is designed to enter /set specific diet for all 300 patients. In this software, meal timings, nutritive values, food exchange list, type of diet, cost, feedback report and all important information are considered. As soon as new admission comes to the ward, a red bolt is seen on computer screen and departmental action is taken accordingly. Kitchen is being managed by canteen on contract as per the instruction given by the dietitian. A weekly clinic cyclic menu is provided to the patient to provide a variety in the day to day diet different seasonal vegetables and breakfast variations are supplied as per the patient disease and condition between six to eight services per day are provided as per patient required.
8) Internship Training:-The department of dietetics is running an internship program since last 20 years and provides internship training throughout the year. There are types of internship programs:
• Internship Training as a part of post graduation.
• Short term Attachment training for six month.
• R.D Training for selected student on merit basis.
9) Academic Activities:-Our department organizes different nutrition education programs n the community CME’s workshops and nutrition exhibitions since last 20 years.
Some of important events and activities are as follows :
• The Diabetic education campus and food display for diabetes.
• Health campus at villages, schools, colleges, and in State Bank.
• Special Nutrition Education to mentally retarded patients.
• Lactation management workshop.
• Community Nutrition Program & Education Program through Skits, Plays, Poster presentations.
• Nutrition Rehabilitation Center runs by the Department for 7-8 weeks.
1. Activities and Workshop in year 2008-2010:-
• World Kidney Day celebration including a Talk on kidney disease, poster exhibition, diet display.
• World Breast feeding week celebration.
• World Food Day celebration.
• Nutrition week celebration.
2. National Level presentations ,Research Work, Awards, Publication, & Memberships:-
• Award paper presentation in the national conference of Indian Dietetic Association held at the Mumbai, Delhi, Baroda, won two national prestigious awards.
• Presentation in thalasemia updated, pediatrics forum, cancer foundation and Girls Degree College Indore.
• Research Work on Diabetes, Cirrhosis, Ketogenic Diet and thalasemia.
• Attended national conference at Indore and Hyderabad also.
• Membership of India Dietetic Association, Indian Society for Enteral and Parenteral Nutrition, Breast Feeding network of India.
• Booklets for Infants and Kidney patients.
• Article published in national journal Indian pediatrics.
• Article in National Thalassemia Bulletine.
Special Achievement in year 2009-2010:
First time in Madhya Pradesh, two students who have undergone R.D internship from dept. of dietetics have cleared National Level R.D exam.
Special training and courses done by the dieticians:
• Lactation management training conducted by BPNI
• Diabetes Educator course by IDF in India
• NRC training